I’ve seen a lot of users on different forums asking the question “How Do I Change iTunes Backup Location?”. There could be a couple of reasons for changing the iTunes backup location. If you want to change default iTunes backup location on windows (7/10) or on Mac then read this guide till the end.
Firstly, I would like to show you how you can find default iTunes backup location and change it to your desired location on windows. You can follow the step by step procedure or watch the tutorial video.
How to Change iTunes Backup Location in Windows 10
Before you start, create a folder anywhere on your PC where you want new back to be saved. Once you have created a path for new backup, now find the default backup location and to change path. To find default iTunes backup location navigate to “C:\Users” and open your folder with your user name.
Now you have to make hidden files and folders visible on your PC. Just follow these steps;
- Click on File from the top left corner and select “Change Folder and Search Options“.
- Go to the “View” tab.
- Now, click on “Show hidden, files, folders, and drives” and click on “Apply” then “Ok”
A folder named “App Data” will be now visible to you. Open this folder and then navigate to Roaming>Apple Computer>Mobile Sync.
Here you will see a “Backup” folder which is your default iTunes backup folder. In order to distinguish this backup folder from the new one rename this folder as “Old_Backup“.
Now it is time to change default iTunes backup location to the new path. To do so, Press “WIN+R” or type “CMD” in Cortana search bar and open “Command Prompt“.
Now copy the the below highlighted command line and paste as it is in your command prompt window.cmd /c mklink /J “%APPDATA%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup”
Now, add a space and quotation mark at the end of the command line. After this, go to the new backup location and copy its path and paste it with a closing quotation mark. Your code should look like this;cmd /c mklink /J “%APPDATA%\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup” “D:\itunes backup”
Press “Enter” key and you default iTunes backup location will be changed to the path you just created and pasted in the command line.
If you find any difficulty change default iTunes backup location on windows 10 just comment below to get help.
How to Change iTunes Backup Location on Mac
The process of changing default iTunes back backup manually location is similar to how we do it on windows. On Mac, you can also change the default iTunes backup location within few minutes using command lines.
Let’s start the process;
- Open Command Terminal on Mac from Applications / Utilities / Terminal.
- Once the terminal is Launched, place the below code and press enter.
- Now, go to default itunes backup location and rename the backup folder e.g. Old_Backup.
- Once rename has done, now you can change the default backup location to the new path.
- Now go to the location where you want a new backup folder to be saved and copy its location.
- Replace the copied location with [new backup path] in the below code.
- Now, every thing is ready just copy this, paste it in terminal and press Enter.
- BOOOOM!! You have successfully changed the default iTunes backup location on your Mac.
Now, restart your Mac once and your new iTunes backups will be saved to the new location.
We will soon publish an easy way to change the default iTunes backup location on our blog. Stay tuned and subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss it. If face any problem let us in the comment section below.
You might Like To Read: Download Instagram Videos on iPhone/iPad