Putting an iPhone or an iPad in DFU mode is very simple process, but there are some differences in terms of mechanics, we’ll explain everything. Don’t be afraid of anything because there is no risk involve in the process and it won’t break your device.
In this article I’ll try to explain everything and the process to put your iPhone in DFU mode.
What is DFU mode?
The acronym comes from the terms Device Firmware Update, i.e. device firmware update. It applies when you want to put a different version of iOS than the one you have, or you can use it when your device doesn’t go over the apple logo. I use it very often to recover the iPads when they become rebellious, you do not know the evil things that children can do to these tablets.
What do I need to put my iPhone or iPad into DFU mode?
- iPhone or iPad to which you want to apply it.
- Lightning cable.
- Computer (Windows or Mac) with the latest version of iTunes installed.
What does DFU mode do?
Very simple, it manages to put that device at the iTunes commands of the computer. Obviously, if that device doesn’t respond it will be another element that tries to launch it. Imagine you have a car without a battery, the DFU would be the equivalent of the clamp or the external starter.
How to put iPhone or iPad in DFU?
First, turn on your computer. Connect the Lightning cable to your device and computer. Open iTunes (making sure you have the latest version of it). iTunes will have recognized it, although if it’s not you don’t worry. It’s time to start acting: we have to force the reboot and that’s where we’ll apply a combination of buttons, which will vary depending on the device.
How to Put iPhone 8, 8 Plus, X or 2018 in DFU Mode
- On an iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X…: Quickly press and release the volume up button. Quickly press and release the volume down button. Then, press and hold the side button until you see the iTunes connection screen on your device.
How To Put iPad Pro in DFU Mode
- On an iPad Pro: Quickly press and release the volume up button. Quickly press and release the volume down button. Press and hold the top button until the device starts rebooting. Keep pressing the top button until the device enters recovery mode. Read again and try, it’s not difficult.
How to Put iPhone 7 or 7 Plus in DFU Mode
- On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the side and volume down buttons at the same time. Of course, there’s no center button anymore. Press and hold until you see the iTunes connection screen on your iPhone.
How to Put iPhone 6, 6 Plus and Earlier in DFU Mode
- On an iPhone 6s and earlier: Press and hold the middle button and the top or side button at the same time. Press and hold until you see the iTunes connection screen on your iPhone or iPad.
Now follow your computer’s screen and you will have the option to Restore and update available. If you have a backup file of your iPhone data then give it a restore. That way you can install the version of iOS that your device supports and that you should have downloaded beforehand. If you want to update, iTunes will download the latest iOS version for your device and try to install it without. modify any of the data retained by the device.
You’ll just have to follow the on-screen prompts and that’s it. DFU mode has nothing mysterious and is always a recommended option if we like to mess around different versions of iOS.
You May Like to Read >>> How to Play YouTube Videos in Background on iPhone iOS 12
If you liked this short guide do not forget to share it. see you soon!